Medical Certificate

Your license will be issued by the same EASA Member State which issues your Class One EASA Medical Certificate. In contrast, you may do your ground and flight training and tests in a combination of EASA Member States. There are some differences between ICAO States' medical requirements, so it makes sense to start with a Class One medical before committing time and money to your training.

ATPL Conversions

Multi-Pilot Aircraft Type Rated Pilots

If you are converting a non EASA ATPL with a valid type rating on a multi-pilot aircraft, you must meet the minimum experience requirements for an EASA ATPL (listed below) and pass all 14 ground exams but don't need to attend a formal ground school course. You will need an EASA Class One Medical Certificate (issued by the same state you wish to issue your EASA license) and also need to pass an ATPL skills test, which is a combination handling check (and IR if appropriate), on the aircraft you are type rated on. This test must be conducted by an EASA TRE on a simulator (or aircraft) approved for the purpose by EASA. It is important to understand that the multi-pilot hours must be flown on an aircraft approved for multi-pilot operations by EASA, and the ATPL Skills test must also be conducted on a multi-pilot type and you must already have that type on your ICAO ATP License. If you have been flying a single pilot type but operating it with two pilots, you may still be able to count the hours as multi-pilot if you are able to prove that the company operations manual required a minimum of two pilots. However, the skills test must still be flown on an EASA multi-pilot type and you must have this type on your ICAO license. If in doubt, it is vital that you get the agreement of the license issuing authority that your hours count before you embark on training.

Non-Type Rated Pilots

If you hold an ICAO ATPL but don't have a valid multi-pilot type rating, or do not wish to take the ATPL skills test on type, you may still be issued with an EASA ATPL but will have to do more lengthy and expensive conversion training. You must still meet the minimum experience requirements for an EASA ATPL (listed below). The training you will need to do is identical to a CPL conversion (see below). The only difference is that as you meet experience requirements, you will be issued with an ATPL as opposed to CPL.

CPL Conversions Aircraft

Pilots with an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Commercial Pilot License (Aircraft) [CPL(A)] can convert to an EASA CPL or, with sufficient experience, be upgraded to an EASA ATPL on license issue.

Groundschool Requirements

If you hold a non-EASA CPL, or an ATPL but you are following the CPL conversion route, you need to do an approved groundschool course and then pass all fourteen ground exams: there is no credit given.

Fixed-Wing Aircraft Licenses

To be issued with an EASA ATPL(A) you will need 1500 hours flight time, including:

500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft;

250 hours pilot in command (or 500 hours pilot on command under supervision; or 70 hours pilot in command and 180 hours pilot in command under supervision);

200 hours cross country;

75 hours instrument time; and

100 hours night flying.

If you don't have this level of experience you can still do the conversion but you will be issued an EASA CPL(A). When you meet the experience requirements you can upgrade it to an ATPL(A).

Flying Requirements

There are two tests you will need to complete: the CPL Skills Test and the Instrument Rating (IR). The CPL Skills Test is a handling check flown on a complex aircraft, defined as an aircraft with retractable gear and a variable pitch prop. If you are converting a CPL(A), there is a minimum training requirement before you attempt the CPL Skills Test. If you already hold an ICAO IR(A), you must complete at least 15 hours before the IR test, up to 10 of which can be flown in the simulator. It's quite common for pilots to need more than the minimum training hours, so budget for extra training (and time). If you have never held an Instrument Rating, you must complete 45 hours of training before the test, up to 30 hours of which can be done in a simulator.  After completing the instrument rating, your final task is a Multi-Crew Cooperation (MCC) course. Most airlines expect you to complete MCC training before they will consider you for a job. An MCC course is not required if you have spent more than 500 hours operating multi-pilot aircraft. 


Conversion prices are highly individual depending on the applicant's licenses, ratings and proficiency. We will make an assessment based on your application and your assessment flight and give you a quote, please send us all the documents requested. When you have accepted the quote and paid the application fee we will apply for an abbreviated course with the swedish CAA.

Plan ahead!

If you are a non-Swedish citizen you need records from the registry of suspicion and previous convictions in English in original from the police authority in the country where the you hold your citizenship. This will be sent to the Swedish CAA togheter with your skilltest documents.


ICAO to EASA conversions